The Director of Operations oversees the smooth running of various functions of the company, specifically Supply Chain, Customer Care, Distribution Center and Atelier teams, setting department priorities, and measuring work performance. Working with the leaders of each of these departments, the Director of Operations will both augment efficiency and productivity and safeguard the company’s operations across all sectors.
The Director of Operations is a strategic partner to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), offering transformational solutions to enable fast company growth. Organizes and prioritizes critical issues and required information for the executive to facilitate efficient decision making. Provides a buffer between the CEO and the various functions of the company, to solve problems, and deals with issues before they are brought to the CEO.
The portfolio of this position is extensive and will require thorough involvement with most aspects of the company. The ideal candidate must be able to handle multiple priorities, instill confidence in those around them, and be an excellent leader that can develop his/her teams.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the development and implementation of company strategic priorities, regularly evaluating and measuring progress.
- Determines, with the CEO, the ideal systems and processes needed to achieve desired results, offering advice and counsel.
- Strategically leads high-profile projects, overseeing large, often cross-functional organization-wide projects or initiatives.
- Plans and monitors the day-to-day running of the operational departments and teams to ensure smooth progress towards company goals.
- Monitors all expenses and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability.
- Manages designated teams, with an understanding that the scope of responsibility and direct reports may change as the business needs are reevaluated.
- Conducts weekly meetings with each manager to review OKRs and KPIs.
- Ensures compliance with all established legalities and regulations.
- Assist the Senior Product Operations Manager manage external factories and vendor relationships and agreements.
- Creates dashboards for reviewing key performance indicators.
- Prepares monthly reporting for the CEO and supports the monthly chairmen report.
- Leads team and cross functional management meetings.
- Orchestrates the flawless execution of multiple new product launches by collaborating with the Sales, Marketing, and Supply Chain teams.
- Maximizes efficiency of our operations while minimizing expenses.
- Support additional business entities when needed.
- Master’s degree in business administration, finance, or a similar field, strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Lean, Six Sigma Black Belt, Project Management Professional Certified or equivalent certification.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Time management.
- Organizational skills.
- Critical thinking.
- High EQ.
- Positive outlook.
- Corporate Finance savvy.
- Ability to follow through and be detail-oriented.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- 3+ years in middle management (managing people managers).
- At least 6 years of experience in a management role.
- EOS, Scaling Up, or equivalent business system implementer.
- Experience with overseas production, ocean freight, and supply chain processes.
- Track record of organizing and directing multiple teams and departments.
- Proven record of vendor management experience.
- Demand planning/forecasting experience.
- Highly experienced with Excel or Google Sheets for reporting and analytics.
- In-depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles, including supply chain, manufacturing, shipping, and customer service.
- Large company experience but entrepreneur spirit who embraces the value of bootstrapping.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and exercise good judgment to resolve problems and complete tasks in the absence of formalized guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to work independently relying on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks and goals in accordance with project deliverable and reporting deadlines.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact with Senior Management and internal customers. Good presentation and team facilitation skills to present information, deliver training and solicit feedback at various levels within the organization.
- Ability to collect raw and secondary data, to organize, analyze and draw relevant conclusions to inform senior management accordingly.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Motivation – Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Collects and researches data. Uses intuition and experience to complement data. Designs workflows and procedures.
- Dependability and self-initiative.
- Ability to travel (although need is expected to be rare).
The Director of Operations is expected to be instrumental in defining and delivering company objectives, creating an organization that efficiently, effectively, and consistently achieves and exceeds performance and financial targets.